Spring is plant sale time

Perennials dug from another garden transplant best

By Amy McDowell

My mom and I once happened upon a garage sale with dozens of perennials displayed in a hodge-podge cluster of dirty mismatched pots. The skinny white-haired man priced the plants at $1 and $2 a pot, and I started snatching them up by the armload. When he noticed my interest, he offered us a guided tour of his garden. It was a standard quarter-acre city lot bordered by wide lush perennial beds on all sides. The flowers overflowed their boundary-line beds into a couple of island beds surrounding a concrete birdbath with flaked white paint and a work area set off by splintered railroad ties that looked like the remains of a long-abandoned sandbox.

As I oohed and aahed over his garden, he offered to dig up a division of any perennials I wanted for just $1 apiece. Suddenly I was the proverbial kid in the candy store, buzzing inside and out at the possibilities. I asked why he’d be so willing to cut pockmarks into his gorgeous garden, and he said he was being forced to sell his home. He was positive that the buyers were planning to “bulldoze the entire place.” I offered him sympathy and he shrugged, squinted his dark eyes and hurried off to gather empty pots for my selections.

It was a cool August morning, but we were just hours away from the sweltering midday summer heat. The plants were in good shape, but I wondered how they’d fare later in the day. I abandoned our plans for a full day of garage saling and went home to plant my new babies right away. Despite their midsummer transplant, every one of them thrived in my garden.

In fact, garden-dug perennials almost always fare better than the tender young perennials sold in garden centers. It’s either because they come from established plants with mature crowns or because the transplant from garden soil to garden soil is easier on them than the transplant from lightweight potting mix to garden soil.

Slip an old bed sheet into your trunk before the spring plant sale season begins, and you’ll be all set when signs start popping up along the curbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment